logo

logo

Tuesday, September 8, 2015

SITE 2: Love Park

photo credit: Steve Weinik/ Mural Arts Program/ OPEN SOURCE

Site 2: Familias Separadas/ Te Amo (I Love You)
Location: Love Park, 15th Street and JFK Blvd, Philadelphia

The artwork depicts the image of a gold necklace that says "Te Amo" (I Love You) that belongs to Suyapa.

Suyapa proudly wears this gold necklace on her chest. It is a memory of her oldest daughter that she carries with her. Suyapa left Honduras fleeing violence, she left her sons behind and crossed the border with her two youngest daughters, was detained in Texas, and is now fighting deportation proceedings in Philadelphia. Suyapa speaks about love and what happens to love when you leave or are forced to leave.






ENGLISH TRANSLATION OF AUDIO STORY:

Suyapa: When you leave and you leave your children, they change, but you do not change. There are people that try to fill their heads and tell them that your mother left because she doesn’t love you, your mother left because she doesn’t care for you, and so many things…

I tell him, my son, you know very well why I had to leave you…

If all of this wouldn’t of happened, I wouldn’t be here, I tell him as poor as I am, I raised you, we struggled together. I couldn’t leave you abandoned because I wanted to. Sometimes I wish to be there, to fly away and be there. How I would like to bring them here and have them all together, but, I can’t.

No comments:

Post a Comment